Friday, January 6, 2017

Fit and fab this 2017

“Fit and fab this 2017”
Sun.Star Davao, Jan. 6, 2017

The struggle is real.

As we age, our metabolism slows down and because of this, we have to rethink our diet and sedentary lifestyles.

Until I was 42, I have been amazingly blessed with an ideal weight (for my height) no matter how much I ate or did little exercise. However, my body had a way of seeking revenge. Last summer, all the eating binges finally took their toll and there was, for the first time, stubborn excess pounds that just wouldn’t budge.

I resolved to eat lesser carbs, junk food and sweets. I continued to stay away from soft drinks. I also did some tweaks in my work space that allowed me to use a standing desk for a few hours. Thankfully, these subtle changes helped improve my well-being.

For this article, be inspired by these three passionate moms who victoriously battled their health challenges, and empowered themselves to be FIT and FAB this 2017!


ANGEL BERNADETTE UY-LABRADOR
Chief Financial Officer
Mom to five kids ages 15, 7 and 4 (triplets)

Can you share to us your old lifestyle?

“I was not a heavy eater so portion was not an issue, but I was a fan of junk food like chips, ice cream, French fries, creamy shakes, anything fried as well as high-carb food like white rice and pasta.


I had basically no exercise aside from the daily walks to and from, and, do household errands. My clothes were usually baggy, oversized shirts from plus size stores and nothing from local off the rack. My medical test/s came up within the normal limits, except for being obese/extremely overweight.”

What made you decide to change into a healthier lifestyle?

Mainly because I would love to have my old lifestyle back without restrictions. I was active in my younger years. I used to engage in different sports like playing competitive golf. I also loved to dive, be in the water and explore the islands, I used to love going to the gym and lift. I did want to be confident and wear anything under the sun as well but mostly importantly, I would like to set a good example to my 5 kids to live a healthy and active lifestyle.”

How long did it take for you to notice the difference?

“I did a strict Cohen Diet for 6-7 months and basically lost around 60 lbs.”

Describe your new lifestyle.

“I eat low carb/high protein and hydrate. I do portion my food especially when I eat out (special occasions and Sundays) and try to pick the healthier option on the menu. I try to stay away from buffet or fast food chains.

I exercise 3 times a week (1.5 hours average) but I try to go 4 times if I can. I rotate boxing, spinning, running and HIIT/Functional Training because I enjoy them!

When it comes to fashion choices, sky is the limit but I still stick to my all-time faves which are athletic and loungewear.

My Peak Heart Rate and Resting Heart Rate during stamina training has improved significantly, thus, playing rough with my 5 kids is a breeze. I don’t have to stop and catch my breath. As to medical test/s, fortunately, I did not really have that many issues to start with, anyway.”

What worked for you to make the transformation possible?

“I did the Cohen Diet until I reached my comfortable goal weight (not necessarily ideal weight as per “charts”). When I reached my target weight, I ate healthier, even on cheat days. I did calorie counting (calorie in versus calorie out). I moved and trained with a trainor/fitness coach. I never cheated reps.

Tech that worked for me included Apple Watch paired with Polar Heart Rate Monitor, MyFitnessPal App, Nike + App for travel. And, I never forgot to hydrate!”

How do you feel now?

“Confident and strong”

What is your advice for other parents who want to be fit and fab this 2017?

“When you stumble, RESET immediately!”


VANESSA ANN PATIÑO-ONG
Basti's Brew Manager
Mom to 3 girls ages 10, 7 and 3

Can you share to us your old lifestyle?

“Ever since college, I've tried to stay away from red meat. I preferred to eat chicken, seafood and vegetables but I do have a sweet tooth. I had to eat dessert after a meal, and I ate rice. 

When I transferred to Davao, I joined my husband regularly in the gym. I joined aerobics, Yoga and cardio exercises. I started gaining weight after I had a baby so I had to change clothes sizes. Style choice was not really limited but I had to buy bigger sizes.”

What made you decide to change into a healthier lifestyle?

“After my second baby, I was diagnosed as hypertensive which I got through genetics because both of my parents’ side had it. My doctor said I got it really early; in my mid- 30's. Due to my health condition, I had to be more careful with what I ate and lessen my intake of sweet treats. Diabetes was also a health issue. My doctor told me to exercise regularly to take care of my heart.”


Describe your new lifestyle.

“I still prefer seafood and chicken. I was introduced to the Paleo lifestyle by my Crossfit friends. Paleo lifestyle is a way of eating that recalls the more natural way that human beings eat prior to the rise of highly processed modern food. In other words, Paleo is to eat real, whole food with no preservatives. I'm not really hardcore into the diet. Sometimes, I get to eat white rice, cakes and grains but I avoid processed food.


I bake Paleo treats on the side called Paleo Palate wherein I use gluten-free alternatives like almond and coconut flour and use natural sweeteners like honey and coconut sugar. I do eat out but I choose what to eat wisely.


I also do Yoga and Pilates. I used to be really conscious of showing my arms in sleeveless tops and dresses but now I've become more confident. Going a size lower really is awesome.

Health wise, I'm still hypertensive with maintenance but it's in a normal stable level. All blood work is normal.”

What worked for you to make the transformation possible?

“I think that with constant exercise and being careful and conscious with what I ate really helped with the transformation”.


How long did it take for you to notice the difference?

“I feel that age does really matter. In my 40's, I find that it takes time to really lose weight because the metabolism is much slower. It's a slow process but I'm getting there. And, now I'm seeing changes as my body becomes more fit.” 

How do you feel now?

“I feel really good. I don't tire easily and I don't feel my age!”


What is your advice for other parents who want to be fit and fab this 2017?

“They should love their body by nourishing it with healthy natural good food, and to exercise. Go find one that makes you happy, be it be Zumba, Yoga, TRX, Crossfit or running. It's important to take care of our health and our body because it's the only one we've got.”


GENEVIEVE RAMOS
Wellness coach
Single mom to an 11-year old boy

Can you share to us your old lifestyle?

“Five years ago, my weight was 128 pounds. I spent the whole day just waiting in school for my only son. But, sometimes, I would go out with other mommies while the kids were having classes. Eating out was our form of bonding. We loved to eat at buffet restaurants.

In addition, while waiting in school, we would eat snacks even if we were not hungry. As long as somebody offered food, I would readily accept it. However, every school year, I noticed that I was getting bigger until I reached 158 pounds.”

What made you decide to change into a healthier lifestyle?

“Being overweight was very challenging. I had a hard time riding the jeepney and tricycle. I would pant. It was also hard to choose my clothes and most of all, I was always hot-tempered.

There were actually three times that I had a difficult time breathing. I thought I was going to die. I asked myself, “What would happen to my son?”. So, I went to my doctor and she advised me to lose weight.”

What worked for you to make the transformation possible?

“I tried diet pills, coffee and tea but they had no effect because I ate more calories than I burned. But, the real transformation began when a friend of mine invited me to join a 10-day fat loss program in a Nutrition Hub where I attended lectures about proper nutrition.

There was a wellness coach who guided and monitored me: my water intake and food that I ate. We did calorie counting for 10 days. They also gave me a personalized meal plan and program. I was taught the difference between fat loss and weight loss. The coach likewise stressed the importance of exercise.”

How long did it take for you to notice the difference?

“I religiously obeyed my coach and the program they gave. I lost 2 kilograms and 2 inches in my waistline during that 10-day program. So, I continued and attended seminars until I became one of the wellness coaches and opened my own Nutrition Hub here in Davao.”


Describe your new lifestyle.

“I do planking 2 mins. daily; Zumba 2-3 times a week; and do lots of walking.

As of now, I’m 61 kg. (my ideal weight is 51 kg.) I still enjoy my favorite foods. I still eat at buffet restaurants, in moderation, as long as it does not exceed my daily calorie needs which is 1200/daily.”

How do you feel now?

“I feel healthy and fit. I can eat properly. I can wear whatever I like and whatever is in vogue. And, thank God, at 41, I have no health issues.”

What is your advice for other parents who want to be fit and fab this 2017?

“If one of your new year’s resolutions this 2017 is to lose weight...start now, not tomorrow, but NOW! And, remember, the key to being successful in this fitness journey is that it must be 80% proper nutrition, 20% exercise, and 100% mindset.”

E-mail the author at mom.about.town.dvo@gmail.com. Visit www.momabouttowndavao.blogspot.com.


No comments: