Saturday, December 12, 2020

There's no stopping Christmas

                  

"There's no stopping Christmas"
SunStar Davao, December 12, 2020

Ever since Monique Tempongko-Villanueva became a parent, Christmas home-prepping was no longer just for herself but has become about making her children happy.

“And, even if they are all grown up and well into adulthood, that part of me has not changed. Christmas is the celebration of the life-changing birth of a child; so, for me, preparing my home is always going to be about children,” Monique says.

                  

For fur momma Alyssa Yap, she and her family are again celebrating Christmas to remember that Jesus has always been the essence. Lighting up their tree this year is to especially honor the blessings during this crisis.

                    

The Covid-19 pandemic may have drastically altered everyone’s lives, including that of Center for Brighter Beginnings Davao and Siargao CEO Rossa Charissa “Chari” Omac-Gavino. But, during these dark and unprecedented times, she believes that keeping the best traditions of the season, like decorating our homes and gift-giving, will bring a sense of normalcy and the much-needed good cheer we are all looking forward to.

                       

There’s no stopping Christmas for these three ardent ‘yulephiles’!

What is your Christmas décor motif?

Monique: Upon the insistence of our youngest daughter Ariana, our motif this year is Christmas in the Springtime.  I think that it is the scientific impossibility of the theme that prompted us to choose it, a concept that can only happen in our imagination.  So that is what our tree is about – believing and trusting in the impossible.”

Alyssa: “The highlight of our 2020 Christmas decor is our adorable Schnauzer tree which is something very personal to us as we are proud owners of eight cuddly Schnauzers and two Schnoodles (Schnauzer Poodle mix).”

                

Chari: “I decorated our Christmas tree with our well-loved glittery and shiny decors to allude hope. I also added personalized ornaments to signify the important people in my life.

                   

What/who did you lose and gain this pandemic?

Monique: “I lost my fear of the unknown and I have gained faith in the impossible.  In fact, my prayer group and I have put up two Christmas projects: “Manito, Manita Para sa Sta. Martha”, to give Christmas gifts to 42 children in Gawad Kalinga Sta. Martha Village in Catalunan Grande; and “Noche Buena Mo, Sagot Ko”, with a goal of bringing Noche Buena packs to 400 families in need in Davao City. In just 4 days, the innate kindness and instinctive generosity of the Filipino produced 482 packs. Now, our new target is Noche Buena packs for 800 families. There are just eight of us in our prayer group, and yet we did not even blink when we simultaneously decided to do this – no fear, just faith.”

Alyssa: “I lost one of my closest friends a month ago. I was devastated and it made me realize how precious life is and for that, I am grateful for the gift of life. With our work-from-home setting, I gained the most precious resource which is time. I get to have more meaningful conversations with family and friends.” 

              

Chari: “I lost a very good friend to Covid. Our loss in revenue and savings caused by this pandemic is devastating. We have all lost a sense of safety, security, and control. With all the concerns of this outbreak, I was able to build up resilience and strengthened relationships. But I have absolutely gained weight and gardening skills.”

                    

What are you thankful for?

Monique: “Since the beginning of the pandemic, my husband and I would do FaceTime every night with three other couples, to pray.  And in that spiritual journey, we have whittled down our life to three simple joys: an intimate relationship with God; the gift of being alive (and Covid-free, too!); and the love of our family and friends.  And, having all three during this pandemic – our cup overflows.”

Alyssa: “Although I will miss our big family gatherings where we usually have costume contests or themed Christmases with the whole Yap clan, I am thankful for the fun Christmas memories we have shared through the years.”

                         

Chari: “I praise God for all the frontliners and to those developing vaccines for Covid-19 offering hope.  I treasure parents who trusted and supported us with the online program we have developed that kept our school open. I am grateful for Zoom and good internet connection; although it is daunting when systems glitch, this is all we have. I am thankful for teamwork and our dedicated teachers and staff who are doing an amazing job and making sure quality learning will continue amidst this crisis. I am blessed with family, friends, good health, and strength every single day to face the challenges of this global pandemic. Covid has taught us to be appreciative of the simple things in life and to find ways to thrive.”

               

What is the most important thing to remember this Christmas?

Monique: “The very first Christmas – there was just a carpenter, a very young mother, and a child who taught us to love one another.  With all the trappings that used to come with Christmas over the years, I think we all forgot about Bethlehem.  This Christmas, and hopefully in all the coming Christmases in my lifetime, this is what I will remember.”    

Alyssa: “The most important thing for me is really to remember and honor Jesus Christ. Through Him, we show kindness and help those in need especially during this pandemic—both to animals and mankind.”

                  

Chari: “The reason for the season of celebration is, always has been, and always will be, the birth of Christ. For us to remember, that in His perfect time, this will all be over. Take all that we have learned from this global crisis and put them all to heart.  Let us all remember the Christmas spirit which promotes hope, love, understanding, giving, helping and everything that makes Christmas the best time of the year!”.

               

               

E-mail the author at mom.about.town.dvo@gmail.com. Visit http://momabouttowndavao.blogspot.com/.

No comments: