Saturday, September 12, 2020

From girl scout to jail officer: GSP's National Young Achiever

 

"From girl scout to jail officer: GSP's National Young Achiever"
SunStar Davao, September 12, 2020

“Once a girl scout, always a girl scout.”    

This could not be any truer for Gilvee Chardyl Plana who was recognized by the Girl Scouts of the Philippines’ National Headquarters as one of the 80 awardees during the recent “Search for GSP’s National Young Achievers” in line with the celebration of its 80th year. 

The search aims to recognize active and former girls scouts ages 21 to 35 years old for “their notable achievements within and outside the GSP movement as well as their continuous efforts to contribute positively to social, economic, environment and development of their communities and the country as a whole.”

“I have been in girl scouting for more than two decades and it has been a big part of my life since I was a little girl. It made me who I am today, from a Twinkler Scout to an Adult Leader,” Gilvee proudly proclaims.

Selfless service

Gilvee, 26, was the first-ever Chief Girl Scout Medal Scheme Awardee from the Bernardo D. Carpio National High School in Davao City where she graduated as a salutatorian in 2010.

“Immersing myself in the community while still a student was one of the best experiences I had in scouting because I discovered the needs of the people. It made me realize that this was the essence of the mission and vision of the Girl Scout in molding girls and young women in extending selfless service to the people,” she says.

“Being a girl scout is not as easy as what others think because it has an equal responsibility. I can feel the pressure when some people tell me, “Uy! Girl Scout, dapat laging handa,” Gilvee shares with amusement.

Through girl scouting, Gilvee is grateful that there were countless opportunities in developing her leadership skills through enriching seminars, trainings, campings, among others. “I also visited many places for free and encountered respected and inspiring people who became my role models,” she reveals.

Agent of change

Upon graduating with a degree in Bachelor of Science in Criminology in 2014, Gilvee worked as a Technical Assistant for Training at the GSP Davao Council. In the same year, she also passed the Civil Service Examination, and the Criminology Licensure Examination.

While working, she likewise taught Criminology on a part-time basis at the Holy Cross of Davao College. After four fruitful years working in the GSP, Gilvee moved on to practice her profession as a Jail Officer with the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology-Region XI.

“My task is not only to protect and develop Persons Deprived of Liberty (PDL) but I am also trained to extend our services to other people in the community as a Community Relations Service Jail Non-Officer Task. I coordinate activities such as coastal clean-ups, tree planting, gift-giving, among others,” she relates.



“I thought I can no longer practice the fulfilling deeds that I used to do in Girl Scouting but through my profession, I have expanded my influence in doing good for others and be an effective agent of change in building a safer and better nation,” Gilvee imparts.


Congratulations to Gilvee and the other GSP National Young Achievers from all over the Philippines!

E-mail the author at mom.about.town.dvo@gmail.com. Visit http://momabouttowndavao.blogspot.com/.

No comments: